This is a common question that Daphne, AL area injury claimants often ask, and the answer varies from one case to another. The general rule of thumb is – the more serious the injury and the more complicated the case is, the better the chances that an attorney can get you a better settlement.
There are most certainly some cases in which an injured person would be just fine handling the claim on their own. In general, these are cases in which the victim only sustained minor injuries and the responsible party has accepted full liability. This article explains in further detail scenarios in which you could get by pursuing an injury claim without legal representation.
As to the question of why a Daphne, AL personal injury lawyer is likely to get you a better settlement when there are moderate to severe injuries and other complications in the case, it is important to look at how the at fault party, and more specifically, their insurance company, views an accident injury claim.
Like any other business, insurance companies do not like to lose money. As such, their actions are geared toward protecting their bottom line. As much as they would like to tell you that they are a on your side, the fact is that their goal is to pay out as little as possible in compensation to injury claimants.
Insurance companies are very good at what they do, and because their interests are not aligned with injury victims, an injury claimant should view them as an adversary. The insurance adjuster might be friendly and courteous and all that, but don’t be fooled into thinking that they are looking out for you. They work for the insurer, so you should look at everything they do with skepticism.
When you are dealing with an experienced and well-funded adversary, the deck is already stacked against you. So, in a situation like this was so much at stake, it only makes sense to have a seasoned advocate in your corner who is looking out for your best interests. This helps level the playing field, and it gives you a much better chance of recovering maximum compensation.
How a Daphne, AL Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You Obtain a Better Settlement
Reputable personal injury attorneys handle injury cases day in and day out. They are intimately familiar with the complexities and nuances that a claimant regularly deals with, and they will not let the insurance company take advantage of you.
Here are some of the most important ways that an attorney can help bolster your injury claim:
- Build the Strongest Possible Case: When you work with an attorney, they will investigate the specific circumstances of your injury and compile all of the critical facts and pieces of evidence needed to build a solid case. In some instances, they may also bring in expert witnesses as consultants and/or to testify on various aspects of the case.
- Accurately Calculate What Your Claim is Worth: If you handle an injury claim on your own, you may not know how much compensation you are really entitled to. Knowing this, insurers will often give claimants a lowball settlement offer in hopes that they can make the case go away. This will not happen if you work with a reputable attorney, because they will be able to come up with an accurate valuation of your claim based on all of your losses – both economic and noneconomic.
- Negotiate on Your Behalf: After building a strong case and calculating damages, your attorney will negotiate directly with the insurance company in hopes of producing an acceptable settlement. Attorneys are experienced negotiators, and with all of the important facts about the case at their disposal, they will be able to negotiate from a position of strength.
- File a Lawsuit When Necessary: Having an experienced attorney in your corner presents the other side with the credible threat that you will take them to trial if they do not present a reasonable settlement offer. Important note on this point – be sure to work with a firm that has extensive trial experience and a successful track record inside the courtroom.
How Much Better Do Daphne, AL Claimants Do When They Have Legal Representation?
Again, this varies from case to case, but here is what NOLO, the well-known online legal encyclopedia found when they surveyed their readers:
- More than 9 out of 10 readers who had legal representation received a settlement or award, as opposed to only about half of those without an attorney.
- Those who had an attorney received an average of $77,600 in compensation, while those without one received an average of $17,600.
Many injury claimants are concerned about the contingency fee that attorneys receive if they decide to retain legal representation. This is definitely a fair concern, but the results of the survey show that even after accounting for an average contingency fee of 32%, readers who had attorneys representing them still ended up with a net payout that was nearly three times higher than those without representation.
Suffered a Personal Injury in Daphne, AL? Contact Hedge Copeland for Assistance
If you or someone close to you suffered more than minor injuries because of another party’s negligence, there is a good chance that an experienced attorney can help you get a better settlement. At the very least, it never hurts to at least speak with an attorney about your case and to find out what your legal rights and options are. If your injury occurred in Daphne or anywhere else in Alabama, call Hedge Copeland at (251) 432-8844 or message us online to set up a free consultation to assess your case.